The long awaited PlayStation 3 gaming controller was launched by Sony Corporation sometime back, but as always it's official support was limited. Sony developed two PS3 gaming controllers, one called the Sixaxis, and the other known as Dual Shock 3. Dual Shock 3 offers vibration feedback effect whereas the Sixaxis does not. Besides that, both of them have the same functionality and are operated with motion sensing technology. The vibration feedback effects of the PS3 controller adds more fun to the gaming experience.
The PS3 controller was designed to be used only with games that are played on PlayStation console and not on the computer. Following is a guide for installing the drivers of the PS3 game controller on the Windows 7 operating system. After successful installation of the drivers, you'll be able to use the PS3 controller on windows both wired (over usb) and wireless (over bluetooth).
Complexity level: Average
Time Required: 10 minutes (approx.)
- System running Windows 7
- PS3 gaming controller
- Bluetooth dongle/adapter (optional)
- MotioninJoy Drivers (need to be downloaded)
- Working Internet connection.
WIRED (OVER USB CABLE)
WIRELESS (OVER BLUETOOTH)
- The PS3 controller drivers used in this guide are known as the MotioningJoy drivers.
- Before downloading the drivers you need to check that whether you are running a 64-bit or 32-bit version of Windows 7.
- To check that, you need to go to start->control panel->system. In the system window check for system type, whether it 32-bit or 64-bit.
- For 32-bit download drivers from http://www.xinputer.com/download/MotioninJoy_060003_x86_signed.zip
- For 64-bit download drivers from http://www.xinputer.com/download/MotioninJoy_060003_amd64_signed.zip
- Unzip the zip file and double click on the EXE file to start the installation process.
- Now click on next, it will ask for install location and leave it to default location. Now again click on next and compete the installation process.
- Connect the PS3 gaming controller with computer using a USB cable. Windows will now install its drivers for the device. (Note : Although windows will recognize this PS3 controller device, but still it would not be capable of detecting buttons or axis movements,i.e, the motion sensing part).
- Now go to Start->All Programs-> MotioninJoy and right click on DS3 Tool.
- Click on "Run as administrator" and you will see DS3 Tool window. Make sure you are connected to the internet and click on Driver Manager.
- Press the "Load driver" button and you'll see the installation progress of the driver.In the end you'll see SUCCESS written at the bottom with error code:0. (Note : If you want to use the game controller on a different USB port of your computer you need again repeat this step)
- In the DS3 Tool, click on profiles and enable the "Playstation 3" option to start the motion sensing and controller sticks.
- Now go to Start -> Control Panel -> Devices and printers and right click on "HID - complaint game controller". From the menu select "Game controller settings" and test the keys of the PS3 controller. If the device is not responding properly, calibrate the device from the "Settings" tab.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Now if you have a Bluetooth dongle/adapter and want to use the PS3 controller wirelessly, proceed as follows.
- Make sure the PS3 is connected to USB cable and the drivers for your bluetooth device are already installed.
- Open the DS3 Tool window and press the "BluetoothPair" button.
- Now click on "Pair Now", and If the value of mac address in the "Have Paired to:00.00.00.00.00" field changes to the value of mac address as stated in the "Adapter Mac" field, then your Bluetooth adapter is successfully paired your PS3 controller.
- Note that pairing your Bluetooth adapter with the PS3 controller changes all its setting and it cannot be used with other Bluetooth devices simultaneously.
- Moreover if you use the PS3 controller with the PS3 gaming console, you need to again pair it when using on the computer as the controller in the former case gets paired with the PlayStation 3 console box.
I have paired my PS3 gaming controller with the Bluetooth adapter. But how can I use it wirelessly again with my PS3?
Connect the gaming controller through USB cable to your PlayStation 3 and turn the PS3 on. The four lights on the controller would start to blink slowly. Now push the PS button and the number 1 LED light would become stable. Your controller is now ready to be used with the PS3.
Does the MotioninJoy drivers also work on Linux platform ?
No, the MotioninJoy drivers are only designed for the windows platform. However, there is driver by the name of 'QtSixA' which is specifically design for Linux.
Things To Watch Out For:
- Never unplug the gaming controller while it is in use.
- Make sure the drivers of your Bluetooth adapter are installed properly and working.
- Do forget to use the DS3 Tool to pair back the gaming controller with the Bluetooth adapter, if it was used wirelessly on a different Bluetooth or on PS3.
- Don't forget to connect the USB cable with the same usb port on your computer, which was used during the installation of the drivers, as you might need to again repeat the process of installation when using a different usb port.
Sometimes the controller gets confused and freezes up, if it is unplugged from the USB cable ( or Bluetooth adapter) while it is in use. Whenever this happens the controller will not respond to any USB or Bluetooth connection either to the computer or PS3. If the controller freezes up, you must press the reset button which is located at the back of the controller.