In this project we show you how to make a cool looking, smokin' hot, steam punk style, badass Nerf gun! You could, of course, laze around and buy one but nothing beats making one of your own, right? Every 'cool dude' geek out there has tinkered around with toys and models. If you are not one among them, this is a chance to become one! With a screwdriver, a can of paint and this tutorial, you will be ready for your very own badassery!
Moderate. Anyone with a little grey matter in their top chamber can do this.
This Do-it-Yourself assignment should be done in a matter of 5-6 hours.
Er! This is a variable for sure. You have to pay for quality man! So we would say that it would cost anything from $15 to $40 depending on the materials you would want to use. Check your wallet and stick to your guns in your decision.
1. Nerf N-Strike Maverick gun - Available in any 'Toys R Us' store. Don't have any in your vicinity, simply go online and do a fetch from Amazon.
2. Some paint - You better get these to match your true colors! Our pick would be the macho black n' gold combo. But well, it's each punk to himself.
3. Sharp knives - You need these along with your sharp eyes and sharp skills. Remember that you bleed yourself more if your knife is blunt! Keep them real sharp.
4. Mini screwdrivers - You need these to screw around with your Maverick gun which you are about to transform.
5. Sandpaper - To give that rub-in effect.
Are you ready shooter? Let's get our banger made and done.
1) Start with the mini screwdriver. Take out all the screws you see on the Maverick gun. Keep in mind to separate the different sized screws. The back cocking screws are smaller than the main body screws. Separate the two halves and welcome to the machinery of the gun. Pull out each and every part after noting the place and position of every little spring. This is a very IMPORTANT step and sketch yourself a quick diagram to help you in putting things back, where they belong. One part in the wrong position, and your gun malfunctions.
2) Time for sand paper work! Rub down and erase all those junk logos that offend. The N-Strike logo and "Maverick Rev-6" text look cool though. Sand down your smoke wagon for that tough weathered look, but make sure you do so in one direction only. Don't do crazy circles or stinking squares. Blow away the plastic dust.
3) Spread all parts on a newspaper and give them an even coat of spray paint. Make sure that the tops and sides are well covered. We chose black here to do some improvised weathered looks but can pick any metallic hue of your choice.
4) Painting the barrel requires some kicking effort. Taking out the screws will not open it. So simply paint it as it is being careful not to get paint into those important parts which will screw up your gun. You will see a lumpy side thing. Use that sharp knife to cut it away. This will ensure that your banger barrel flips all the way back. Cool eh?
5) Paint some of the details on the gun with those evil colors. Yup! The handle, the faux screw heads and the accents - all get the colors. If you like it, you can use some clear enamel spray paint to seal the paints.
6) You are ready to put back all the things as you took them out. Screw back those little pieces and you have the revolver maker shying away in shame at the sophisticated steam punk gun you made as a children's toy!
1) There is a corresponding nubble part on the gun as well. Take that off too but before you begin the painting -- hindsight pays.
2) Add as many details as you like to suit your taste. No need to follow us exactly.
3) The clear enamel spray paint helps seal the pints. Don't do it if you wanna accentuate the weathered and chipped off look.
Things to watch out for:
1) Be careful while painting the barrel. Paint it as it is without opening it. Make sure to mask it to prevent paint from getting into the important bits.
2) Take care while cutting away the nubbly knob on the barrel. Use expert help if necessary.
3) Though the gun does not have many moving parts, it is important to put back all the little springs in their exact places.