Tired of Facebook and now need a break? Or want to quit Facebook due to privacy issues? Whatever your reasons are, Facebook offers a convenient way to permanently delete your account, if you have decided not to use its services any further. But, make sure you want to actually do this because once you delete your Facebook account, all the information about your profile, all your uploaded and tagged photos, the comments and the messages will be lost forever. If you are really prepared to risk all your Facebook memories, deleting your account is just a few steps away and for that you have to follow the instructions given below.
Complexity Level: Basic
Time Involved: 1-2 minutes
Estimated Cost: Nil
- A computer or a laptop
- An internet connection
- A Facebook account
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Log-in to your account : Enter your email id and password to log in to your Facebook account.
- Go the Facebook FAQ page: Once you are in the FAQ page, search for the question 'How to delete my Facebook account?'. The page will take you to the 'Delete your account' section.
- Follow the Instructions : If you are sure about deleting your account, click on submit button. Follow the instructions, where you will be asked to enter password and CAPTCHA image to make sure you are a real owner and not some automated program.
- Click the SUBMIT button: Once the instructions have been followed, click on the ‘ Ok’ button and your account will be permanently deleted within next two weeks. Never return back to your Facebook profile Page again and your Facebook account will be gone for good.
I accidentally deleted my Facebook account. How can I retrieve my account?
Deleting your Facebook account needs two weeks to finish confirmation. If you have deleted your Facebook account and want it back, simply login to your account within next 14 days and you will be given an option to cancel your request. Click on the Cancel button and you will get your profile ready to be used like before.
Does deactivation mean permanent deletion of my Facebook account?
No. If you have deactivated your account, your profile and all information associated will be called off from Facebook unless you activate your account again. Meanwhile, people on Facebook will not be able to reach you or your profile information.
Things To Watch out For:
- The ‘Delete my Account’ confirmation takes about a week to confirm your cancellation allowing you to rethink on your decision.
- To deactivate your account, you can use a direct link also. Or, you can do this by being logged in to your account.
- If your Facebook account is linked with any other sites, delete those links first. Otherwise, deletion of your Facebook account will fail. Log out of those sites that use Facebook connect and log in again using the alternate method.
- Delete every application that uses your Facebook log in; else your connection to those apps will cancel your deletion process and will result to account reactivation.
- Sometimes, it becomes essential to delete the account due to security reasons. Make sure you are deleting your account and not disabling it for a while.
- If you have applied for permanent deletion of your account, just be sure that your browser cookies are deleted.